Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanks

Well, it's Thanksgiving weekend, and if for nothing else, I'm thankful for a weekend off - mostly -gotta work Sunday, but that's just killing the mood, so let's drop the subject. I'm thankful for my family, my friends, and my LOML - all sources and receptacles of all my love. I'm thankful for a steady income, which comes from a job that makes a difference in the world. I'm thankful for all the different types of fiber and all the things we can do with it. I'm thankful for all the people who understand why I would be thankful for such a thing.
I met people of that ilk at Clara Parke's Knitter's Retreat last weekend and we had a great time. I got to see friends I hadn't seen since last year.
I really re-connected with these ladies and have promised myself to stay in touch with them this year - unlike last year where our only communication was whenever I bothered to post a blog.
I also made new friends this year, but true to my brain-dead self, I forgot to bring my camera along, so all pictures in this blog are complements of those who did bring a camera and who sent me what they took.
This year's retreat was at the Williams Inn in Williamstown, MA, which is only about 30 miles away from last years retreat, but I really enjoyed the setting so much more. For one thing, we were in a college town and the campus was loaded with gorgeous buildings like this one:
There was this great artist, whose name I've already forgotten, who had sculptures all over the campus. I especially loved the eyes looking out of the hillside and I don't know if these frogs were done by her as well, but they seem to belong to the same type of thinker.
Very whimsical. And on that note, could someone please explain this sign to me:
I'm guessing there's some humor here, but I suspect the geographically challenged side of me is completely missing the joke - so if someone would be so kind as to enlighten me...
Mostly though, I loved the mountains out there - so majestic. Such a wonderful view with the tiny little dusting of snow. The few locals I spent time talking to are still enamored with them as well, which is great since so often you meet people who grew up in that setting and completely take it for granted as the years go by.
All in all, it was a splendid retreat marred only by me overspending my allowance at Webs - not a big surprise, but still something to give me pause. After spending so much at Stitches East, and then to spend a wad again a few weeks later, I've come to the realization that it's time to start slowing down on this free-for-all, as if the money will never run out. Time to go on *shudder* a yarn diet. So, even if it's not the new year yet, that's my resolution and you can all keep track of how well I stick to it in the year to come right here on my blog. Friends who will keep me honest - one more thing to be thankful for.

No comments: