Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Yummy, yummy cashmere

At Stitches East this year, I signed up for the block of the month club for the Great American Afghan. The yarn is an 8ply cashmere from Hunt Valley. It's the softest, most luxurious yarn I've ever worked with. It's taking me a while to knit up my first square, because I keep squeezing it and rubbing it on my face, arms...well, let me just stop there.
The first block is Barbara Selesnick's:

Reading the patterns in this book is a bit of a challenge, but once figured out, this block is knitting up very prettily.

My SigO, his daughter and I went to Sushi Taro this weekend. The SigO's daughter has a small fascination with the japanese culture and this is about as authentic japanese food as I can find in DC. We didn't get to sit on the floor-that's only a small section of the restaurant-but we did have some interesting food. We had BBQ Eel, sushi, sashimi, steamed dumplings, kabobs and a very different dish with tuna and grated yam which made the tuna very slippery - like trying to go fishing with chopsticks.

Before dinner, we went to go see the remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still. Don't bother. Someone please explain to me why Hollywood needs to take a perfectly good movie and add as many explosions as they can fit in in a two hour movie? Of course, it was doomed the minute they signed Keanu Reeves, wooden boy, to play Klaatu.

Finally, Sunday, the SigO and I went and rode around Burke Lake. He just bought himself a new mountain bike and we really had a lot of fun - even if my chain kept falling off. When we took it to be repaired the guy asked if I was a radical rider, since the chain wheel was bent and the rear derailer was all catty-whompus. I told him, no, I really only rode Dual Track, easy trails - but hey, that doesn't mean I don't crash - a lot!

So, another good weekend. Over too soon, as usual.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You were at Stitches? I was at Stitches! Maybe we passed each other. =) That yarn is just gorgeous.