Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Happy New Year

Here's hoping everyone had a wonderful holiday and reveled in the New Year's celebrations.

The SigO and I celebrated the holidays in the Adirondacks, in Chestertown, NY . We stayed in a nice little place called Friends Lake Inn, which had nice rooms, friendly people, good food and great drinks. We arrived Tue, 12/30 at about 3PM and immediately strapped on our snow shoes and went out to check out the trails.
We mostly stayed on groomed trails that first day, since our daylight was limited, but the next day we headed out on some unexplored trails and had a great time trekking through the trackless snow.
Even still, our time was limited, since we were actually up in the mountains for a XC ski trip and we had a lesson scheduled at 1:30. We were pretty surprised when Paul, our waiter from the night before, showed up to give us lessons.
Everyone in that Inn wore multiple hats. Turns out, Paul is a huge telemark skier, marathon runner, off-road biker, all round super-athlete. He really enjoyed teaching the SigO - no surprise -the SigO doesn't spring a gasket if he doesn't perfect a new move on the very first try. Not that anyone you know is like that. Suffice it to say, he picked it up much faster than I did the first time I went XC skiing.

So, to recap, it's 12/31/2008 and we went snow shoeing for about 2.5hrs first thing in the morning, then skiing for another 2.5hrs in the afternoon. But of course, we're in great shape, and had no problems partying the New Year in. Yeah, I'm lying. We went to dinner, had a five-course meal with wine pairings, then went upstairs and went to bed - at 8:30. We were so tired we didn't even go skiing the next day either. We hung out and I let the SigO beat me at Billiards and then Backgammon a few times. In our defense, it was 10 degrees outside and he didn't really have good clothes for such severe cold, so we also went to an Eddie Bauer outlet and got him some warm clothes.
Bundled up in layers the next day, we got out for one last excursion, but the snow had iced up and it just wasn't as much fun skiing as the first day, so we called it quits and headed home, where we sat, holed up in front of the TV for the rest of the weekend.
For the record, I didn't pick up my knitting once the whole time we were in the mountains. Which is pretty funny, since, as usual, I was 100% under the whole "time will stand still while I'm on vacation and I'll be able to work on all three of these projects I brought" delusion.
I have finished all the knitting to be done on the Jester sweater and it is now in the same place as the sideways stripe sweater - waiting for finishing. Seriously - someone needs to start a business finishing people's knitting. They have people to quilt your quilt tops for you - it's not like this is a new idea!
Maybe that can be my New Year's resolution - to finish all the knitting I start.
Belly Laugh
LMAO just thinking about it!

No comments: