Wednesday, July 6, 2011

First Annual Festivus Insolidus

A little while back, the SigO came up with a good idea to celebrate a Festival of the Weird, or, extremely loosely translated: Festivus Insolidus. We've decided to kidnap H-Boo each 4th of July weekend and celebrate our goofy-ness.
This being our first year, we don't have many traditions established yet, so all we did was go smash crabs and drink beer (well - rootbeer in H-Boo's case).
Also made the SigO try fried pickles

- I mean, if you're celebrating weird, you gotta try at least one new weird thing, right? H-Boo tried Hush Puppies for the first time. You may not think that's weird, but think about it - frying corn bread? Doesn't seem like you could make corn bread any yummier than it already is, but then you fry it, and voila - twice the yum. Weird.
And of course, the SigO did some puppet shows for us. That's always weird. And fun.

The heat was oppresive, the music was weak, and the crowds were crazy, but we still enjoyed ourselves and look forward to expanding our experience in the future. We're open for suggestions for new "traditions".


Otherwise a slow weekend. I finally cast on - again - for the Enid Cardigan.

I attempted this once and lost a lot of yarn. First, I am trying to do the entire thing picking instead of throwing, and my picking is much looser than my throwing, so the guage was ever so slightly off. Unless you're knitting for Hagrid, and then, it was dead on. So, this time, I'm using needles two sizes smaller than what is called for. I'll take a measurement tonight to see if I'm on track.


Also, last time I tried this pattern, I twisted the stitches when joining in the round. I didn't realize this until I'd knit a fair amount, and since the pattern calls for steeking anyway, I figured I'd steek to untwist. Boy did that not work out so well, and hence - a lot of lost yarn. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I still have enough - I'm counting on the loose knitting to help out. Or, I may just order more and alternate to disguise the different dye lot.


So, a quiet fourth. But we have a whole year to think of wacky ideas for the Second Annual Festivus Insolidus.

No comments: