Monday, March 5, 2012

Honey's BDay Celebration

Well, today is the SigO's birthday. He claims he's like to just forget these annual events, but he knows that won't fly with me - I believe in celebrating your birthday, no matter how old you get. Some would say celebrating your birthday beats the alternative. I wouldn't know, having never experienced the alternative, but still, I say Carpe Diem - let's party.
So, we went to The Grille at Morrison House Saturday night. They offered us the choice to dine in the bar (pictured on the site) or in the dining room. I am so glad we chose the bar - it was open mike night. Now, I've been to some pretty sketchy open mikes. In one instance, I was actually serenaded. Sounds romantic, I'm sure - and it might have been - if it hadn't been our first date!! Then, it's just awkward. But, I digress. Open mike night at the Morrison House was mostly professional singers who seemed to just want to do it for fun.
The pianist was quite talented - as was his accompaning trumpet player, who, in this video, is actually singing.
That's me coming in at the end - I know - I'll keep my day job.
And speaking of day jobs - this man's day job was for the Washington Opera.
And, this couple was engaged to be married, so one of their table-mates sang a song for them - he was the only non-professional singer, but he roped one of the others to sing with him to keep it on key.
It was very entertaining. One older man with a very deep voice seemed to enjoy singing show tunes from plays such as Oklahoma and Paint Your Wagon - his voice was perfectly suited for the songs he chose.
All of this was our entertainment through a lovely meal, which included:
  1. Artichoke pate with black truffle oil paired with a sparkling wine
  2. Cauliflower Bisque (I know - sounds bland - but it was quite good) paired with a Chablis
  3. Pumpkin Ravioli with Duck Confit paired with a Pinot Noir (our favorite dish for the night)
  4. Salmon paired with a Chardonnay
  5. Lamb paired with a Meritage
  6. a small Cheese course paired with port
  7. Dark Chocolate cake paired with a dessert wine
We really enjoyed the evening and stayed til around 11:30 - I haven't stayed out that long since...well, OK - since my birthday - but still.

We weren't ready to call it a night, so when we got home, we opened a nice bottle of Two Hands 2009 Lily's Garden Shiraz and stayed up chatting til 3:00 AM.

Now that's the way to celebrate another year of life!

No comments: