Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Alter"quilt" Lifestyle?

Well, I stayed off the blog for a while simply because I wasn't knitting and this IS called AlternKnit Lifestyle. But, I've been giving that some thought, and I don't intend to create separate blogs for everything else I do, so I'll just have to be sure to put a little disclaimer in the first paragraph of any blog that's not going to be about knitting. This one will have some knitting in it, but more quilting, since that's been my mood of late.

The annual Quilt Oddysey is rapidly approaching and I'm so excited about it, all I really want to do is quilt. The only problem, of course: quilting is a much louder activity and you have to actually watch what you're doing (although you might look at some of my earlier efforts and ask "Are you SURE you were watching what you were doing? Really? I'm just saying..."), so TV is sort of extraneous with quilting and it's difficult for me to focus on only one thing at a time anymore.

But, I've had this particular quilt in my closet for a while and it was time to bind it off and put it on the bed, where, if I do say so myself, it looks very nice


The pattern is Blackford's Beauty. I'm not sure why the picture makes it look like the strips are darker in some places than others. I assure you it doesn't look like that in real life. This was my first ever queen sized quilt. I didn't quilt it myself, I only pieced the top. I have a strict policy about not trying to cram miles of fabric that weigh eleventy billion tons into my tiny little pfaff sewing machine when there are plenty of women with long-arm machines who are willing to do it for me. Besides, I could never get such a nice quilt pattern as I got by letting someone else do it. Check it out:


















But, as I said, I haven't completely neglected my knitting. I finished the back of my top and for a while I suffered SOS syndrome. Stephanie calls it the SS (Second Sock) syndrome, but since, in my opinion, that particular disease applies to anything that's a repeat of what you've already done, to me, it should be called Same Old Sh*t Syndrome, and that's another reason why I've been quilting instead of knitting lately. I mean, look at this:

The front is done exactly like the back until you get to the armholes...you can see I have a LONG way to go before I get there...I know, I know. It only took a week to get there on the back, what's the big deal? I'll tell you...SOS! That's what. *Sigh* But, I am excited about finishing my very first top and I do think it's going to come out OK. So far, the size seems to be on the right track.
My next project will be the Green Gables pattern by Zephyr Knits. It's knit in the round, so hopefully it won't present the same problem. I'm knitting it up in a red cotton blend...don't remember what right now. I'll be sure to report all that when I actually get started on it. Oh yeah, and I guess I'll put another Afghan Block on the needles...right after I frog that last one. *Ugh*

No comments: