Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Quilt Odyssey, Green Gables, Filatura di Crosa

As usual, I'm way behind on my blog. This time it wasn't my fault. I wanted to show off a picture of my completed Green Gables top and we couldn't find the computer cable for the camera until yesterday. But here it is: The picture shows off the fit of the top, but doesn't show the lacework (at the top, near my neck) very well. The funny thing is I wore it to work Monday, and when I got home and hung it up I noticed I missed a few ends that still need to be woven in. Thought I had gotten them all.

I finished the Green Gables top Friday night and immediately started on my Filatura Di Crosa Sideways Striped Pullover.
I've gotten the back done and just started on the front. This picture doesn't do justice AT ALL to the yarn. The yarn knits up beautifully. This is my first 100% wool project and now I see what everyone is on about. And of course the colorways are spectacular. I'm knitting this a size too small for me - and I fully intend to be able to wear it this winter. If this doesn't keep me motivated, I just don't know what will. But, then, considering I have a closet full of gorgeous clothes I can't wear right now....yeah, but this is different! Yeah!

Anyway, the Quilt Odyssey this year was awesome as always. I took a class with Phil Beaver to learn how to paint fabrics. It's funny, when I signed up and it said we were going to make sunflowers, I had this image of a cheesy looking quilt top in my head. I had no intention of making any sunflowers - you've all seen what I'm talking about - cutesy, cheesy, boring. But I was interested in learning how to paint my own fabrics. We painted four panels. This is my favorite one:
and as you can see, my quilt turned out to be anything but cheesy: There were many gorgeous quilts on display as usual. Here's a small sampling:



This is just a few of my favorites. OK, I admit it - this is how many I got before my memory card was too full! Anyway, if you want to see them all, here's a nice slide-show:
Enjoy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No worries, I just updated my blog for the first time in 4 weeks. Ack.

I love the top, and the striped pullover is going to be gorgeous! Absolutely love that yarn.

Your quilt is stunning! I keep forgetting that quilting is more than granny squares... those are truly works of art.