Monday, July 21, 2008

Just as Well

It's just as well that I'm a week late posting this time...unless you want to hear all about my exciting weekend doing house work and yard work...no? Right - that's what I figured, so as I was saying...
Unlike this past weekend, last weekend was pretty exciting, if a tad painful. We went kayaking down the Potomac at Harper's Ferry. The scenery was gorgeous:
and I had a great time watching the SigO flex his biceps:
The only drawback to the whole day was the length of the trip. On the way down there, it began to dawn on me that 6hrs on the water in >90 degree heat might be a bit more than I could handle. Of course, I knew the heat would only be one factor - there would also be the 6hrs of paddling - so, like a smart girl, I called ahead and told them we would be changing our plans from full day to half day. No problem they said. But when we got there, they sold us a doozy: "Oh, don't worry - the river is so high the full day is only taking about 3-4 hrs - which is what the half day would normally take. The half day is only taking a few hours."
"Oh!" say gullible, silly us "well, in that case, yes, we'll stay on the full day!"
Here's a nice picture of a bridge over the Antietam river:
This is where we were at hour #3. This is when we were ready to get out. It's also somewhere a little past the halfway point. At hour #4.5, we were ready to get out and walk the rest of the way - screw the boats. At hour #5, we finally rowed into the home base with raw hands, sunburned shoulders and aching backs. Pure misery - let me tell you!
I can't wait to go back and do it again!
That was Saturday, last weekend. Sunday we decided to stay closer to home and hike Prince William Natl. Park - one of the most under-utilized parks around VA - which I'm not complaining about. It's a gorgeous park with tons of trails.

Even though I've hiked it regularly for the past five years, I never tire of its beauty.

I didn't just hike and kayak all weekend. I'm working on the Zephyr pattern Green Gable that I bought over a year ago (pics in the next post - honest!). I also spent a great deal of time putting all my books, magazines and yarn in the Ravelry post. With numbers like these:

And a stash like this:

only a crazy person would go out and buy more yarn anytime soon...right??!! Ermmmm....

That is the one fun thing I did this weekend. I picked up Ella Rae's Bamboo Soft in mocha. Very pretty, very soft yarn. No plans for it. Maybe I'll just roll around in it.

No comments: