Monday, April 27, 2009

Zip-a-di-do-dah and Splish Splash

Knitting took a back seat this weekend to outdoor adventure. The SigO and I went to West Virginia (Paddle Faster, I hear banjo's!) and spent the weekend at the Ace Adventure Resort (their idea for a name - not mine - don't get me wrong - I absolutely loved it there, but if there's not a manicure/pedicure and hot rocks massage center, then in my book, it ain't a resort - but that's just me). It's the "Grand Canyon of the East" (again - their billing, not mine - although it really is very lovely). The New River and the Gauley River cut through this area and provide for some pretty intense whitewater rafting, but before we shot the rapids, we first did some evening rappelling.The SigO accidentally got some video of me - which I would normally have deleted, but I actually like this one, so thought I'd share:



It was a great time - we went off the cliff five times each - we would have gone many more times, but to get back to the top was a slight climb and after five of those, my fun meter was pegged.

The next day we got up nice and early and headed out to the rapids. We shot the New River. The Gauley isn't at its peak until October when the Army Corps of Engineers releases the dams and floods the Gauley - so yes - we'll be back in October.

For this trip, we had, in my opinion, the best river guide out there. While other rafts were tipping over and spilling out their occupants, we maneuvered through class fours and class fives with great expertise - in my humble opinion. Whether we were expert or not, the simple truth is we never got tipped out of our boat - I'm just sayin'.

Of course, I didn't leave the knitting behind altogether. In fact, I got plenty done on the way down there and on the way back and got some done after the rafting trip. I got a few double takes whenever people who saw me out on the river saw me peacefully knitting away on my cardigan, but that's just because they don't understand the adventures of knitting!
Anyway, I've finished a sleeve on my cardigan, and just have the second sleeve (and a serious case of second sleeve syndrome) and the button band to knit.

A weekend of adventure - knitting, rafting and rappelling - what more can a girl ask for?

No comments: