Thursday, May 28, 2009

VA Creeper

What a glorious Memorial Day weekend! The SigO and I headed down to Abington, VA to meet up with friends for a ride down the Virgina Creeper.
On the way downwe stopped at one of my absolute favorite winery's - Valhalla. Talk about a magnificent view. I just wish we had been a little more prepared. They had live music and it was a gorgeous day - it would have been perfect for a picnic. Next time...

We arrived in Abington at a decent hour and got up the next day to go for our ride.

The creeper is such a lovely trail, with fabulous trestles that wind through the treetops, over waterfalls and rivers and alongside the Whitetop Laurel Creek. The first 10 miles is all downhill, so no effort involved. After that, it's still mostly flat with a tiny little incline...for the last 7 miles. Still, it's a very pleasant, easy 34 mile ride.
Saturday night we all trooped over to the Barter Theater and watched a play about Jimmy Rogers. Fun times. Good music. Sad play.
We had originally planned on a ride alongside the New River on Sunday, but my backside was singing to me, so we opted out of that one.
Of course, one of the best side effects of long trips is all the knitting I get to do on the trip. Still working on my little pink camisole, but I was able to rip apart my very first top and re-seam it. Some might think that's cheating...it being my first top and all, it should be a memento of my rough beginnings, but the truth is, the knitting is fine...but I wouldn't wear it because I was clueless as to what I was doing when I seamed it. Now that it's all re-done, it's completely wearable (as I'm doing right now)

Well - OK - obviously I'm not wearing it in the picture. See, I know how you wankers think!! And now I know you're thinking "Wankers? What the...", but that's what happens after I watch movies like Bend It Like Beckham - get past it.

No comments: