Thursday, August 27, 2009

Surprise Visits

I had another great weekend with the WWO.

This time, we went kayaking down the Susquehanna.

Such a beautiful peaceful trip. And the first surprise visitor of my weekend was this young eagle. So young, he still had some of his white feathers. He wasn't alone either. There must have been a nest around somewhere, because we had multiple eagle sightings that day. Not to mention the Osprey ignoring us while she decaptitated her freshly caught fish; or the cranes, herons, and kingfishers. As I said - a beautiful and peaceful trip. We stopped on one of the islands for lunch. I wonder who used to live here? This wall wasn't the only evidence that there used to be people living on this tiny little patch in the middle of the river.
We were back to our cars and ready to leave by 3, and I hotfooted it over to Ewenique Yarns in Bel Aire, MD. There was a small group of knitters in the back, laughing over life in general. They were a little worried they were being too graphic and I might be scared away. Silly girls. Didn't take much to set them straight. Needless to say, I found some gorgeous yarn - which, duh, means I bought some gorgeous yarn. But then, I've been on a bit of a yarn feeding frenzy lately. Really need to slow my roll since our vacation is next week.

My next surprise visitor this weekend was one of my oldest friends. She and I went to college together (until I jetted off to Europe for 13 years), and she is also retired military, so she can take advantage of the military airlift transportation - which means she can fly around the world, when space is available on a military flight, for free. So, she's enjoying some free time and I was one of her stops. Very fun. We spent the day in Old Town Alexandria, where, of course, I visited Knit Happens. Yes, I know. I had just been to a yarn store, the day before! What's your point? Yarn Feeding Frenzy. Remember? She spent a few days with us, and made us some Carne Guisada - something hard to find here in DC metro. Quite yummy. I took her to DE where last we spoke, she was trying to get a flight to Europe - I still don't know if she made it or not. Hope so.

So, that's my excuse for being so late this week - was off playing with friends.

Next week, I'll be on vacation, so no new posts til Sep.

No comments: