Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gettysburg

So, we were desperate to get out of town. What's new, right? And the SigO chose Gettysburg. I had this great camping location all picked out in MD. And no, I didn't make reservations. It was supposed to rain and drop into the low 40's. How many maniacs could there be like us, out on this particular weekend.

Apparently, a lot. So, that campground was full - "We're full every weekend" said the registration lady - rather snottily. Then why do you close 3/4 of your effin' campground in Oct, I'd like to know!?!

Anyway, I did a quick search on SigO's iphone and found Codorus State Park, which is only 18miles out of Gettysburg. Not the most private camp sites, but we got a pretty good one, without anyone immediately next to us on any side. So, after setting up camp, we headed down to the battlefields and did some riding.

Encounted a few problems there too. The map we were using was out of date, and the Visitor Center isn't where it used to be. And they've changed the direction of the traffic, so following our map had us riding against traffic the whole time. Which got real un-fun, real fast. So, we turned around and simply tried to follow some signs. Which was OK, but still, not the best ride ever. The SigO was a tad grumpy when I tried to take this shot, but I put on a pouty face until he smiled at me.
We got a nice shot from the top of Little Round Top,
and a nice one from close to where the visitor's center used to be.
Then, we headed on out, to continue the ride, but it tried to drop us onto another busy road without much of a shoulder. By this time, my fun meter was pegged, so we loaded the bikes and wandered around thru town on foot instead. Lots of folks wandering around in period clothing. Nice.

It was quite dark by the time we got back to our campsite, and with temps dropping fast, the highlight of the evening was to see how big a fire we could build.
Too bad I couldn't take it into the tent with me, because it was seriously cold that night, even with two heavy blankets and us huddling together for warmth. I cursed at him every time he got up to pee - which, quite frankly, was one too many times - but then, once would have been one too many times. And yes. I know. If you think I was cursing...

I'm sure he wasn't loving life out there either. The one time I had to get up to pee I thought my bum was going to freeze off. Can you believe I still want to go camping in the snow one day?

News from the knitting front is good, but since I have no pics to share, you'll have to wait on that one. I'll try to remember to take some shots tonight, and post again tomorrow.

Until then...

No comments: