Thursday, October 15, 2009

Knitting Update

This blog is 100% about knitting.
If you feel yourself dozing off already - probably want to go ahead and move on.

I finished my section of MisJaq's traveling scarf last night. To catch everyone up, this is a group in Ravelry (an online knitting community), that knits a section of a scarf, and then sends it to the next knitter. You start off with your own scarf. You knit 5", and then send it to the next lady in line. This is the lady you always send to, for the entire exchange. She then knits 5" and sends it to the lady under her, who knits 5", and so on, until the scarf comes back around to you. So, the first scarf you receive in the mail is from the lady above you, and it's only her 5". Then, the next scarf you get has 5" knit from the lady above you, and 5" from the lady above her, for a total of 10". The next will have 15" knit. And so on, and so on, until you're the one knitting the last 5" of a 50" scarf. Get it?

Anyway, I had to take MisJaq's scarf to Tiffany at Nature's Yarn (my favorite LYS) and have her rip it back to Jannit's section. I don't know how, but I somehow lost some stitches and couldn't find them again. I kept frogging and tinking and got down to where if I went much further, I'd be messing up Jannit's section - and it's a bit pointless to have a traveling scarf, where the object is to have many women knitting up your scarf for you, when you end up messing with the previous knitter's section. So, needless to say, I didn't want to push my luck any further - especially since it was going south, quickly. Luckily, Tiffany set me straight and I was able to knit my section without any more drama. I did use a lifeline though after Tiffany set me straight, and intend to do that from now on with future traveling scarves.
I used Kaffe Fassett's sock yarn, and I think it is a nice continuation of the colors MisJaq originally chose.

My araucania hoodie is still coming along well. One more sleeve, then on to the hood and the button band. No pics of that yet.

Finally, I'm working on a scarf for the SigO. It seemed only fair that he should get something more than one pair of knitted socks. Although, he'd better use this scarf more than he wears those socks, or else!! I found the yarn in NYC, and found the pattern in Ravlery (of course). It's a multidirectional diagonal scarf. I think it looks very manly, and want him to buy a peacoat to wear with it.
See, there are all sorts of hidden expenses with knitting!

No comments: