Monday, July 30, 2007

Quilt Odyssey Weekend

This will be a picture-heavy post, naturally, since there were many gorgeous quilts at the show. Unfortunately, the $100,000 prize winners were not allowed to be photographed, and they still haven't posted this years pictures, but the quilts I was allowed to take pictures of are still fantastic. In fact, shows like this make me 100% certain I will never enter any of my work in any show, since as I'm looking at these, I'm thinking "OMG, this only won THIRD place??!!"

So, anyway, in no particular order, here are some of my favorite quilts from the show:
















There's a magazine out there somewhere that tells the story on all these quilts, but honestly, I just took pictures of the ones I liked the best, which in many cases, means I liked the color selections.



I guess that means I never grew out of the "Oooh, Pretty!" phase of my life!














This quilt of the turtles made me long for Hawaii!











And this one makes me want to go back to Africa!







This one made me think of Halloween---my favorite holiday of the year!









This one was my LOML's favorite. LOML, of course, stands for Love of my Life---obligatory "Awwwwwww!" goes here! The ugly line across the bottom is tape to keep people from getting too close! I appreciate the sentiment, but it really messed with a lot of my pictures...don't they know It's ALL about ME!?








This one made me want to go out and garden! And I might actually consider such an effort if my yard got ANY sunshine at all!! So, of course, absolutely nothing blooms back there! But that's a rant for another day!







This one is a close up of one little tiny piece of the quilt. I didn't think taking the whole quilt would do it justice. The details were incredible, as you can see



Notice the hummingbirds in this one? I ought to do that since hard as I try, I can't get any in my backyard...back to the no sunshine rant!













This one won best in show. This picture can't possibly do justice to the quilt, but what you need to know is the back was just as spectacular as the front, as it was reversible. She called this quilt Sugar and Spice. This is side one.




and here's side two












Just a few more shots. These three are all just gorgeous colors and of course spectacular work!





















And this quilt was pretty spectacular in the shape of a kimono (but not really a kimono)



Final Quilt! Check out the perfect points!
This just covers Saturday at the show. Tomorrow I'll finish up on the weekend's activities, to include the class with Carol Doak. She's an outstanding instructor and a spectacular quilter, but BlogSpot really can't deal with me putting in all these pictures! It keeps putting in about 2,000 extra lines per photo that I have to now go through and clean up, and by the time I'm done with that, I just won't have it in me to post another one! So, until tomorrow!

No comments: