Sunday, July 1, 2007

Small World

So, yesterday I was sitting at my sewing machine working on a quilt top that's been sitting neglected for almost a year now, when my SigO asked me how I got started quilting.
















So, I told him the story of Wendy, who used to design Haute Couture in her apartment in San Antonio. I lived in the same apartment complex at the time and we met thru my ex. I loved her fashion designs, but I was especially captured by her quilt. She was hand-dyeing silk and then putting it together in a Double Wedding Ring Quilt. It was spectacular. This picture was taken around 20 years ago at an art festival in San Antonio, Tx. Those are a pair of her hand-dyed silk shorts on Kelly's head. She taught me the basics of piecing together a quilt top, but more importantly, she inspired my love of quilts.
Telling my SigO this story made me wonder what had happened to Wendy. Had she made it in the fashion world? So, I asked him to google her and look at her now!

She's got her own line of clothes!





and she was a finalist in Bravo's Project Runway. Not sure if this was my Wendy, I dropped her an e-mail to find out, and sure enough, one and the same! Tiny little world!











And back in my tiny little world, I suffered a small shock yesterday when I realized I wasn't nearly as close to finishing my quilt top as I had been thinking. I had 48 of these squares completed. It has been so long since I started this project, I thought the red squares were all I needed to do. So, when I still had some fabric left over after finishing them, I was a tad concerned. I pulled out the pattern and discovered to my dismay that I still had 52 square to do in Blues and Greens.





So, I cut and sewed and got all of those ready to assemble and now I have this much more to put together.







Meanwhile, I'm still working on that top. But only about 10 rows/day, so progress is slow. Maybe I'll tackle more of it today and at least get up to the armholes where I have to start dividing for the neck. Not quite Haute Couture, but it's all mine and it belongs here in my happy little world.

No comments: