Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Quilt Odyssey Weekend Continued and Ended

OK, this is my last post about the Quilt Odyssey weekend. Mostly, I just wanted to post more pictures. This time of the cool fabric I found. I'll admit to being somewhat disappointed in this year's Vendor Choices in the market. The last time I went (2005) there was a wider variety of vendors selling some unusual fabrics and patterns. This year, I felt like most of the vendors were selling fabrics and notions that I could find at my local G Street Fabrics Shop. I was beginning to get pretty glum about the whole situation when I came to Usha's stall.
Her handloom batik's had a wonderfully unique look that set them apart from the average batiks you find all over the place. I bought a pretty good sampling of her fabrics. She was a delight to talk to as well, telling us stories of her shop and passing out business cards, each of which has an Indian god or goddess portrayed on the front for which she's more than happy to explain the properties and powers of each. I got Durga - the Queen Mother, Warrior Goddess, rode tigers into battle defending Her children, the gods. The SigO got Ganesha-the Elephant god of success.


At first, I thought Usha's was the only stall of interest in the market. The quilt hanger guy was back and I did eventually break down and buy one of his pieces, but as far as fabric goes, I was disappointed.....until......

I found these African Indigo's. I'm not sure how I missed them in the first go round. They are quite spectacular. I got 15 prints total shown here and while I certainly love them all, here are my favorites:




Doesn't it make you just want to touch them? They feel so interesting! For an interesting history lesson in indigo, check out wikipedia's info.








Oh, and just in case you're thinking I've been slacking off, here's the progress on "first sock". Does it still count as first sock on the third iteration?

No comments: