Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spectacular Weekend - Day Two

We woke up with the sun streaming in through our windows. Let's be clear - waking up to the sunrise...not something we would normally elect to do. But the entire front of the cabin consists of windows and faces east - there is no sleeping in when we stay there. Just as well. There's too much to see and do in Canaan to sleep in.


After a nice leisurely breakfast, we hit the road and headed to Spruce Knob Lake. You drive up and up and up to get to this lake which is surrounded by hiking trails and nice wide dirt roads. I still don't like highly technical bike rides - I want to bump around on dirt with the option to ride over rocks and roots, but I don't want to take my life in my hands when I'm on a bicycle. I do that enough in rush hour traffic every day. The ride was billed as "easy" and only 10 miles. We were talking about possibly doing it twice, as it was a loop, but as soon as we headed out, it immediately headed downhill. And we all know, what goes down, must come back up. So, doing it twice lost its appeal from that moment, and instead, we decided to just ride around, where ever - which naturally means we got a little lost - nothing we couldn't back track from and boy was it great that we did. The scenery on this ride was breath taking.



Rivers


Surrounded by mountains


Vistas from on high


and hot boyfriends bumping along beside me (yeah - really behind me - I was being kind).


After lunch, we headed to Blackwater Falls State Park, where we always go play around the smaller falls of Elakala. You may remember seeing us peeking from behind a wall of ice last year. SigO is standing in the same spot where we were peeking thru in that blog.Only one disappointment of the weekend: We were trying to see the forests in bloom with rhododendrons - which are just everywhere. I can only imagine what these trails look like when they're in bloom --- yes --- I can only imagine - as even though it was almost June, they still weren't blooming yet.

dirty rotten bastards.


more tomorrow.

No comments: