Friday, September 18, 2009

Acadia '09 - Day Six

This is the day we climbed the Bubbles. It's such a nice, easy climb, over in no time, and the view from the top is another stunner. All four of us climbed it this year. Last year, one of our group was having issues and didn't make it to the top, so I stayed behind with her, and then went up by myself a little later. On that particular trip, I noticed that you can get down to Jordan Pond from up there, and explored around, trying to figure out the path, with no luck - also, I was on a timeline since I had to get back with the rest of the group. This year, I found the path, and now my goal for next year is to hike the bubbles from the other side. I want to start at the Jordan Pond house, walk up to the South Bubble, and climb up from that side, then down to the parking lot, where we plan to ghost a bike, and I'll ride the bike back to the pond house, get the cars and come get everyone else. Doesn't that sound like fun?

Anyway, I didn't take many pictures from the top of the Bubble since we have about 11ty billion shots from up there.

I did (barely) get a shot of this falcon that was soaring around. He came so close to me at one point, but I didn't have the camera ready yet - and sometimes, I think we're so busy snapping photos of everything that we actually miss out on some things, so I'm not too sorry about not getting that shot - I couldn't have done it justice anyway.

Still, I knew you'd squawk at me if I didn't show you what it looks like from up there (although I'm SURE I showed you last year), so here's a shot from last year.
And here's a shot of the bubbles from down by the Jordan Pond house. In case you're wondering, and in case I didn't mention it last year, the bubbles are named for the girlfriend of the guy that donated the land to the park. And they are apparently reminiscent of one of his favorite body parts. Not my story. I wouldn't make something like that up.

One of the distinguishing features up on the south bubble is balancing rock, shown here. We traditionally take pictures of all of us trying to roll it down the mountainside, but apparently we took those shots on the SigO's camera, not mine, so I don't have those for you.

After we climbed the bubbles, we headed back over to the quiet side for lunch, which, tragically, in case you've forgotten, is where the Lilac Lily is. Chloe (shop owner) was happy to see me again - needless to say. And I didn't disappoint. I found more yarn.How is that possible, you may ask - well, I take that back, only a non-knitter would ask that. For those non-knitters reading this, try thinking of it this way: Yarn = Crack for knitters. So, this time I got all this yarn for an afghan I saw Chloe knitting - it's Cherry Hill, and I've used Cherry Hill for socks (my sister-in-law's and the Domster's socks are in Cherry Hill - just so you guys know) and I like the way it knits up. Besides, Chloe's afghan sold the yarn for her. I also bought these two buttons. No idea what I'm going to use them for, but I wanted them the first day I was there, but I didn't see them until the SigO walked in the door, and he already bugged out when he saw all the yarn I was buying. So, I got them on this trip. Of course, I left him and the girls down at the lunch counter while I went yarn shopping - again - and I was checking out when I saw him coming down the street towards me. I shouted "Quick! Here he comes!!" to the amusement of the entire store. Pretty silly of me since he would have to pack it in the car to go home. You'll be happy to know there was still room in the car for the two girls when we did finally head home a few days later.

Anyway, after the lunch/yarn binge, we headed over to Long Pond for some canoeing. Now, this is the same pond that created so much havoc with us the first year. That year, we rented a two person kayak, and could not keep that damn thing straight. Apparently, the SW wind on the pond wreaks havoc with the boats. So, much wiser this year, we rented a canoe instead. We were going like gang-busters heading out. We were sure we were going to make it to the mountains - and we did get very, very close, but we had much less time this year, so we turned back, and thank heavens we did, because as soon as we turned around, the pond gremlins began messing with us again. Nothing as crazy as that first year, but we still had quite the time keeping the boat straight - and this a canoe, I'd like to remind you. When we did finally turn it back in, and were telling the rental lady about our adventures, both this year, and the previous, she laughed and told us they call the kayaks the "divorce boats". So, now we know. Long Pond is not a place for anyone without a very strong relationship.

It is pretty though. These are the mountains we were heading for.
And here is the cutey patootie rowing hard.
Isn't he just cute as a button?! And he so loves it whenever anyone tells him that - make sure you get the opportunity the next time you see him.
On the way home, we saw this fellow munching down on some poor hapless souls apples. He didn't give a dang about us, let me tell you. We stopped the car and had plenty of time to take some snaps of him chowing down.

When we got back that evening, I went shopping, yes, again, at Fabricate, a quilt shop in Bar Harbor. She had some of her batiks on sale, and I still want to put together the quilt I was supposed to be working on at Hershey this year, so I picked up some fabric from her. Also, she's a fellow knitter - there's a surprise - so I got this recycled silk from her.She doesn't want to really sell yarn, because she's right across the street from another yarn shop, called Bee's. The irony is, she felt it was safe to sell this yarn, because she didn't think anyone else in the area would carry it.
Whoops.
Headed over to Bee's afterwards, and found this.
Also recycled silk.
The one at Fabricate is from a sari. Not sure where this comes from.
Still, after all this, I was finally satiated - for now.

So ended another great day in Maine. We have only one day left, and you'll have to wait til Monday to hear about it.

No comments: