Tuesday, September 15, 2009

We interrupt this regularly scheduled broadcast

I know - I was supposed to be telling you about the Precipice, or Acadia - Day Five, but that will have to wait, and I don't think you'll be disappointed, since you get to read about what a bonehead I can be sometimes.

Sunday morning, at 0900, I decided it was time to clean out the pantry. I was sick and tired of every time I try to find an herb, or a bottle of vinegar, I had to dig for 15 minutes, and sometimes still couldn't find it. I was sick of going to the grocery store, and bringing home food that I already had plenty of, but couldn't find. So, this was it! I was going to tackle the beast.

First, let me tell you, the pantry is no small deal. It's about 5'x4'", and 9' tall. Plenty of space for disarray, but still, I thought I could finish it in a day.

So, I began by pulling everything out. Everything. Pots, pans, bakeware, food, spices, papertowel holders, you name it, it was in there, and out it came and got placed in a designated spot on the floor or countertops in the kitchen.

Then, I began to scrub. I really wish I had a before and after, so you could see where the molasses had spilled over, or the grease had accumulated, but take my word for it - it was grody in there.

Once I was done scrubbing, it was clear to me I needed to paint, and line the shelves with something that's easier to clean. And here's where the boneheaded part comes in.

I blame my father. He had these cut corners genes and he passed them along to me. Because, let's face it, I didn't want to have to buy paint brushes, drop cloths, rollers, pans, etc, etc, just to paint the pantry. I mean, damn, I wasn't even going to paint the shelves. So, yup, I bought spray paint.

I'll give you a moment to stop laughing at me.

Recovered yet? OK, good, get ready for more.

When I began to asphyxiate, I turned on the ceiling fan.

yeah, yeah, yeah. Yuk it up.

When I emerged from my fog of paint, and looked at the kitchen, I saw I'd need to stop working in the pantry and immediately begin cleaining the paint off the walls, cabinets and floors before it set.

So, you can see how it took me longer to finish this project than originally scheduled.

By 8:00 Sunday night, I had all the paint cleaned off where it shouldn't be(mostly), all the paint applied where it should be, and all but the bottom shelf lined with contact paper. The dishes, food, spices, etc were still all scattered throughout the kitchen.

So, Monday, I took a personal day in order to complete this project. One thing I forgot to tell you - I wanted to have two levels on the shelves that store the bulk of the canned goods, jars, etc, so I stacked a level of bricks along the back, and put contact paper over those as well.
Here's the end result. I finished everything, cleaning up after myself and all, by Monday around noon. I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond to buy an area rug to cover the paint on the floor in the pantry (Remember, I said "mostly removed paint where it shouldn't be.)
I was very happy with the end result, even if it was a drama fest getting there.
But now, it was noon, and what to do, what to do?
Then I remembered! In Stitches is having their 15 year anniversary sale! Woo Hoo!! I certainly deserved a prize after the last two days, and boy did I find one.
This is Araucania Rehue, in color #8 - Orange Multi, and color #1 - Green Solid. It's made from baby alpaca and silk. Very soft. Very pretty colors.
And this is the hoodie I'm going to make with these colors - the orange multi will be the bulk of the knitting, but the ribbing for the buttons, and around the hood will be in the green. I think it's so gorgeous, I began last night. And since I'm using a different yarn than what's called for in the pattern, I even knit a swatch.
Yes, I knit a swatch.
Try not to faint.
Oh - I forgot to mention. I also bought this air sanitizer to use down in the basement to clean up the SigO's cigarette smoke. This is even better than a lava lamp if you ask me.

Last, but not least, since I deprived you of the news from Acadia - here's a nature shot for you.

I saw this guy swoop down and grab something out of the tall grass. I couldn't get close enough to see what, but I could see him chomping down on it. I'm sure it was nummy. The world is his pantry. Too bad he can't pull all our litter and crap out, and give the planet a good scrubbing, huh?

Acadia Day Five tomorrow - I promise - unless I don't.

No comments: