Thursday, September 9, 2010

Time Travel - Day Five - Wednesday in Acadia

See, going back in time, you're going to be thinking: "I thought you said you guys hiked twice a day every day?!" Where's the evidence?!
Give me a sec, for pete's sake. It's not like we were lounging around, after all.
But, Wednesday wasn't the day for dual hikes either.
Wednesday was the bike the carriage trail day. Definitely a favorite.
We did the same trail we did last year, but backwards. Oddly enough, I think it's more scenic going the other way. For one thing, while you're riding past Jordan Pond, you're not going uphill when you go the other way...and trust me, you do not want to lose momentum, so there ain't a whole lot o' stoppin' going up that hill.
I wish I had some pictures to share, but I guess I left that up to the SigO this year. I'll have to look through his stuff and come back and edit this.
After the ride, we went back into town and got cleaned up and met friends for dinner. We met Michelle the first year I went to Acadia. We were hanging out in the Thirsty Whale, as it was the only place the SigO could smoke and drink beer at the same time, and Michelle was the bartender. We liked her immediately, and the fact that she's a fellow knitter and on ravelry is just that much more reason to like her.
She now no longer works at the Thirsty Whale. Now she owns her own place, called the Spruce and Gussy. A WAY cool place where I spent lots of cash, and could have spent much more.
Anyway, Wed night we all had dinner at the Dog and Pony pub - our new favorite hang out spot in Bar Harbor. Quiet. Off the main road. Locals mostly. We spent most of the night laughing. Especially with Michelle's SigO - that dry, quiet humor that takes you off guard. I was on one of my favorite rants -
In the late 70's/early 80's - I don't exactly remember - the Dallas Cowboys announced themselves "America's Team". No one voted for them. There were no polls. They just made the declaration, and for reasons passing all understanding, it stuck.
In 2000, Bush declared himself President of the United States. Now, however you want to look at that, the simple truth is, again - it stuck.
So, apparently, if you're from Texas, you can simply declare yourself something, and it sticks.
So, I declared myself Miss Universe that night over drinks.
Dan, in his quiet, understated way replied: "Well, I can't wait to tell the guys at the Town Sewer (where he works) that I spent the evening having drinks with Miss Universe."
Clever.
Tomorrow the real blogs begin - with double hikes per day. See you then.

No comments: