Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Time Travel - the real work begins

See, we worked so hard on these remaining days in Acadia, I didn't even have the energy to blog about them!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
So, as I recall, I was about to tell you about Tuesday when I so unceremoniously just dropped you in the middle of the story.

So, first, I should tell you about the very first time I ever went to Acadia. I went with the SigO, his Mom, his sister, his brother-in-law, his daughter, and her friend. I had only been with him for a little shy of 6 months, and this was my first exposure to "the fam". Needless to say, I was a tad reticent. OK - reticent for me. Get real - we're talking about Ms Speaks Her Mind here, I can only be reticent to an certain extent. Still, I saw something that lit a fire in me that took until this year to extinguish.

Simply put (I know - too late), that first trip, we drove to a parking lot for "The Bubbles",and proceeded to hike to the top of the Bubbles. Now, this is all of a 0.5mile hike. Yawneroo. But when I got to the top, I saw there's a path that takes you down to the Jordan Pond House. And, there's a path that goes all around Jordan Pond. How cool would it be, thinks I, to start at Jordan Pond House, hike up and over the Bubbles, and back down around to end at the Pond House. Cool, right?! Right. And it was. It was definitely one of the highlights of my trip this year.

So, that was the morning hike. Along the way, we met a fellow hiker who was by himself, so we adopted him on the way back down the Bubbles. We also met a family with a woman absolutely terrified of the steepness of the rocks - so, of course, gallant SigO went along to help her get over the scary part, and then rejoined us. Which didn't take long, since, of course, I was limping along - going down hill and all - and little Miss Bouncy Feet was being magnanimous and staying somewhat close by.

That afternoon, we did another "old faithful favorites": The Beehive. I swear, I remember the first time H-Boo did that one. She was practically trembling, and forcing herself to overcome her fear of heights. She's either come a long way and is no longer afraid of heights, or she has become a spectacular actress, because she bounded right up that mountain.

So, those were our two hikes for Tuesday. That night, we ate at Rupununi's - one of my favorite places, just because the menu is a bit different. Still, there are so many great places to eat that we still haven't tried, we might have to change our dining venues next time around.

So, that's Tuesday.

I won't do a whole new blog for Monday, since it was a slow day due to the weather. In the AM, we tried to catch Thunder Hole at the right time, but totally missed out. No real action there. So, we went to Otter Point and hung out on the rocks for a while, watching the waves crash.

That afternoon, we did a new hike: Acadia Mountain. So, first, let me post a strongly worded letter to the SigO's Mom who told us what an easy hike it is, and how we should definitely do it when we want something easy to do. Did I mention the word easy?

Yeah.

Nuh-nuh!!

We looked it up after - it's classified as strenuous. Streeeeeeeeeeennnnuuuuuuuous!!! So, word of advice - ignore little Miss Jazzercise Queen when she tells you something will be easy.

That said, it did offer some pretty spectacular views, and it really was a very fun hike. We found the loop that took us alongside the mountain face, so the views were practically unending.

So, next blog (notice how I'm no longer saying when I'll post the next blog), I'll finish up about Acadia, then it's on to Spain.

No comments: